Middle Learning (Fourth Grade - Fifth Grade)
While continuing to embrace many of the tenets of Montessori philosophy, the Upper Division phases students into a rich preparatory curriculum that exceeds the standards found in many of the finest upper elementary and middle schools in the US.
Whereas most upper elementary education programs continue self contained classrooms with individual teachers covering the entire curriculum, Country Day provides dedicated teachers teaching in their field beginning at the fourth grade level. This provides the opportunity for extraordinary advancement in each area of study with the personalized attention of a small learning community.
Some of the program highlights are:
- Continuation of the comprehensive Spanish program first introduced in pre-kindergarten
- Language arts program with a strong emphasis on communication skills and the use of Accelerated Reader technology
- Unique humanities program that integrates the study of history, anthropology, archeology and geography with global responsibility modeled after the Earth Charter
- Student led conferences and daily study halls
- Comprehensive weekly fitness and wellness program
- Life skills including community service, character development and organizational skills with the Covey planner
- Extensive use of computer technology including training in Microsoft Office, file management and the Internet