About Country Day School
Country Day School was originally founded in 1974 as Countryside Montessori. The initial objective was to provide a high quality education to preschool age children in a semi-rural setting. The school experienced rapid growth in its early years, and by 1978 many parents were requesting the addition of an elementary school; Country Day Academy was opened to meet that need. Over the next 10 years the school expanded its campus and programs to serve 2-year-olds through 8th Grade students.
In 1999, the administration initiated a five-year comprehensive improvement plan to create a world class school. It addressed all aspects of education including curriculum, faculty, campus and facilities. In 2002, Country Day School successfully achieved its five year re-accreditation with the Florida Council for Independent Schools and the Florida Kindergarten Council. Additionally, the school received the highest recognition in the Montessori field by becoming the first in Pinellas County, and one of only a small number in the U.S., to be fully accredited by the American Montessori Society (AMS).
In 2004, the name of the school was changed from Country Day Montessori to Country Day School to embrace its substantially expanded curriculum. With a Montessori program for 1-years-old through the 3rd grade and a gradual transition into a Preparatory curriculum during the 4th through the 8th grades, Country Day School offers the academic environment to meet the needs of all its students.
- added Chinese and became one of very few 3 language schools in the U.S. where each student gets English, Spanish, and Chinese
- completed FCIS re-accreditation
- set vision to expand Upper Elementary and Middle School program and facilities
- started separate Upper Elementary program
- established first friendship school in Costa Rica with visit by our MS students
- participated in several global projects with other international schools around the world
- Significant expansion of STEM and performing arts programs
- Property acquired for school expansion
- Became one of first Middle Schools to visit China and establish a sister school
- Started 1:1 iPad program
- opening of new World School
- opening of 1 Year Old program
- opening of Victory Program